2010年3月24日星期三

Speaking British

Speaking with a British accent, peoplewould shoot me strange glances as theycan't figure out where I'm from or why inthe world a Chinese would have a Britishaccent. Those who meet me in Englandare often shocked when I inform themthat I've actually lived in Hong Kong allmy life, and am indeed from Hong Kong.

The fact is that I haven't always hadthis accent, neither do I know when I'veadopted it, but I can't imagine not callingsomeone "darling", "darl", "lovely",amongst all sorts of amorous ( 熱情的)words that show my affection for friends(and at times, strangers). What elsewould I call a loo ( 洗手間)? Pants areunderwear, not trousers; chips are fries,not crisps; quid is money; tomato ispronounced to-mah-to, not to-may-to,etc. The very core of the English language,despite common mockery, is proudly used.

An excessive addition of fabulous,rather and marvellous, emphasises ouremotion for a particular event or object(sometimes sarcastically).

Talking about the weather is indeed anicebreaker and fills numerous awkwardsilences. The general pattern goes assuch: " (With a slight expression ofsurprise)Oh it's [raining/ sunny/ snowing/cold/ warm, etc]. Isn't it a [insert words ofdelight or aversion] day?"

Perhaps more commonly said thanhello, sorry is another essential Britishquality. In Watching the English by KateFox, the author deliberately walked intopasser-bys on a busy street, more oftenthan not and quite amusingly, they wouldapologise instead-truly depicting thehumble yet reserved (含蓄的) British nature.

These subtle English behaviours haveinfiltrated ( 滲透) my way of speech, andhas slowly continued to shape my character.

After all, experiencing the marvellousEnglish weather would make you moreinclined to talk about it than expected.

沒有留言:

發佈留言